Welcome

This blog is a record of my travels to Portland, OR and my new life there. 2000 miles from everything I know...what a grand adventure!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Breathing Again

Yesterday we conquered Montana, followed by small portions of Idaho and Washington. I take back everything bad I have ever said about Montana driving. It was an absolutely beautiful day. Big grassy spaces, only broken by the occasional cow and rusted out farm equipment. The gradual rises and falls of the land give you the chance to see the broad, open spaces than pull you into the details of valleys, rivers and bluffs. Than, in the distance, like a storm cloud gathering on the horizon, the mountains. Almost out of nowhere they appear: first in front of you so you think you are going to drive right into them, and than a curve in the road and you pass by their splendor.

Key notes about driving in overpacked, small cars - downshifting is your friend. Don't expect to go very fast through the pass, but instead see it as a time to take in the scenery. Small, tight roads that curve through pine trees, rock walls and next to drop-offs that take your breath away and make you hold tight to the steering wheel. And than, when you think the passes are just rocks and trees and road - Coeur D'Alene lake appears out of nowhere; both sides of the road and surrounding by half-hidden houses on the bluffs.

I have decided to go old school with this trip and use a film camera (I will give you a moment to recover). I don't get a lot of shots, due to the fact that I am driving, but am excited for the pics that come from this trip. The problem is: you can never capture the full beauty and vastness of the west with pictures - the lens space is too small, the colors are never just right and its hard to get that "wow" feeling on film.

I arrive today - to a new house, new life and hopefully soon, a new job. Since leaving the midwest, I have felt like I can finally start to breathe again. I am arriving to a place where I might actually belong. It's like I have been trapped for so long and now can finally stretch and move freely - maybe there is just more space out west.

'Til another day, happy reading and get off your computers and find a friend, a coffee shop and some amazing conversation.

1 comment:

  1. You remarks remind me a bit what people must have felt like back in the pioneer age, more space able to gain a new life. thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete